Ah, the office holiday party. It’s like the holidays, themselves. You can’t keep it from happening, so you may as well get on the train and stamp your ticket to merry-ville.
Holiday office parties can be a lot of fun. You spend quite a bit of time with the people you work with. An end of the year holiday celebration is a great way to thank employees and let down your hair…Halfway. If you stick to a few golden rules, you can enjoy the party and be able to show your face the next day.
- Attend the party – Going to your office party shows that you’re a team player and that you like hanging out with your co-workers. It’s also perfect for networking and getting some priceless time with the head honcho.
- Conduct yourself accordingly – There’s nothing wrong with dancing, dining and drinking. As long as you do everything in moderation. Give yourself a drink minimum and stick to it. Remember, this is an office party. Not your neighbor’s party.
- Ask, if you don’t know – Can you bring a guest? Is there a dress code? Will there be a cab service provided? Not knowing the answers to these questions may bring on embarrassing, and unforgettable, situations you can’t take back.
- Talk minimal business – It is a party so even though it’s okay to talk work, make sure it’s at a minimum. You don’t want to be the person who talked everyone’s ears off about the latest software update.
- Network – Use this time of merriment to casually network with those in your company who could lend a hand up the ladder. Again, don’t go overboard. Be entertaining and professional.
- Enjoy yourself – You’ve worked hard all year, so take this time to enjoy yourself. Be in the moment and act genuine.
- Say thank you – Don’t forget to thank the person or persons who put the whole party together. Take the extra step and send a thank you card. Or, better yet, send them a Plaxo eCard. They’ll appreciate the thought.