When was the last time you took a few days off? If it takes longer than five seconds to answer this question, that can only mean that it’s been awhile since your face has seen something other than your place of work during normal business hours.
Countless studies have shown that taking a vacation is incredibly beneficial. Yet, it has been engrained in us that taking time off is a bad thing and something to feel guilty about. It’s even become a badge of honor to not take your vacation days. “I haven’t had a day off since…”, like it’s something to be proud of.
In the United States, employees are typically provided with fourteen paid vacation days. In Europe? Twenty days of paid vacation. Yes, Americans are hard working. But, that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t play hard, too. Here are a few reasons why you should take that vacation:
- It’s a health benefit. Take your vacation days, live longer.
- Time off inspires creativity. We come up with our best ideas when we’re relaxed.
- Taking days off actually improves your work performance. You’re not stressed, overworked or burnt out.
- It’s good to reward yourself. Say goodbye to the guilt and hello to the “I deserve this!”
- Your friends, family and co-workers will thank the reinvigorated you.
Even if you take a stay-cation, go enjoy and relax!