When starting a business, it’s easy to get caught up in the idea of becoming a national success. There’s nothing wrong in dreaming big and wanting your company to reach that type of level. But, in doing so, we tend to forget about tending to our own backyard and how making a name for yourself locally can be a pretty big deal.
So, before you start running for the national hills, let’s look at taking a local path to success:
- You’ll want to list your business in every local online directory possible. Yes, the process can be a little overwhelming at times, but it’s worth it in the end. Some providers offer special ad placements for a few dollars and depending on your budget, may be worth considering to see what type of traffic you get.
- If you have a website, find a good search engine marketing company to ensure your business is found on search engines like Google 24/7; whenever prospects are looking for what you sell.
- It may sound strange, but for those who list strictly toll-free numbers as their only business contact, think about getting a local phone number as well. Customers tend to respond to someone locally if that person/business has a local contact number.
- Be active in your community by sponsoring local events. It’s a great way to gain recognition while supporting a positive cause.
- Get the word out by creating a press release and sending it to your local media. Do your research in advance by looking through magazines’ editorial calendars and creating an angle for your release that will fit their monthly themes. And, don’t forget about your hometown television affiliates and their varied morning shows. Tie your business into a local story by offering tips, showcasing a special product, etc.
- Reward your local customers and clients with a special promotion. Offer your services or products for a discounted price or run a campaign where the winner receives your talents free of charge.
- Socialize, socialize, socialize. Get out there and attend local events, meetups and conferences whenever you can.
Doing great things on a local level speaks volumes so don’t shy away from being a local superstar. Your business will thank you.